Contributors

Tuesday, February 12, 2013


Pinned Image
It all began when my older brother was able to get greatly discounted tickets to this year’s “Disney on Ice” at Barclay’s Center. He gathered his little brood of boys and offered tickets to his nieces and nephews as well; it was a sweet Chanukah present for all the children. An extra pair of hands was needed to chaperone, so they gave the ever-dutiful Aunt (me!) a ticket as well.
To the outer world, I like to pretend I’m a trendy yuppie with a hopping social calendar. I meet the girls for drinks, then I attend some swanky East Side professional-networking event, and finally, I freshen up my lipstick to meet a dashing date.
Yeah right.
My reality is more “with the kids” than “with the band.” More “Dora the Explorer,” less 22 year-old exploring. Of course I love being with my nieces and nephews, but whenever I attend a Sesame Street Show at Madison Square Garden (3 times so far) or toddlers’ amusement park, I’m reminded of how “un-adultish” my existence truly is. When my friends are too occupied to meet me (which is usually the case), I’m left with no other alternative but to color, er, paint the town with a trio of 5-year olds. If it involves a stash of Care-Bear DVDs and Mott’s apple juice on a Saturday night, then so be it.
Pinned Image
As far as this “Disney on Ice” situation? It was different than the usual “Oh-my-G-d, why-am-I-here?” sentiments that Uncle Moishe concerts brew in me. I haven’t seen a Disney film in years, but when Sebastian sang “Under the Sea” while doing Triple-Axels that evening, I felt very happy. You read that correctly. Happy.
           If your childhood—like mine—was defined by Disney, then you’ll realize the irrevocably cheerful effect it has on you. Even if life has morphed you into a jaded creature who gobbles sarcasm for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as a 90’s child, your heart is still bound to turn all soft at the sight of Rafiki lifting Simba at Pride Rock, or Aladdin taking Princess Jasmine for a magic carpet ride.
Pinned Image
Aside from the inexplicable sense of joy that Classic Disney offers, I’ve learned quite a few lessons from my favorite Princesses:
PRINCESS JASMINE
Pinned Image
Her ability to bravely defy the status-quo is awesome. She protested to her father that she shouldn’t be forced to marry. She had little tolerance for idiocy or conformity—and she showed it. Jasmine in two words: Beautiful bad-a$$.

PRINCESS BELLE:
Pinned Image
Belle motivated me to read when I was growing up.  Sure, the local townsfolk and simpletons thought she was peculiar, but she proved them dead-wrong in the end. Reading has taught her not to judge the proverbial book by its cover. She was able to see the good-hearted man crouching within the Beast’s deformed self, and thus bask in true love.

PRINCESS ARIEL:
Pinned Image
A melodic voice and beauty do not always guarantee happiness. At times, the answer to contentment lies in another world. Ariel had a “deeper calling” (a euphemism for teenage hormones) and she didn’t let anyone prevent her from reaching it.  In all seriousness, I admire her relentlessness and sheer guts. (Even if what she was fighting for was just teenage lust).
OH, AND I ALSO LEARNED THIS FROM DISNEY...

Pinned Image

AND THIS...

 Pinned Image

               My love for Disney was clearly latent and had to be woken by a ticket to Barclay’s. Shrouded by tedious schoolwork, heart-suspending races to the subway, a co-worker’s mean jibe, and the general daily grind, my inner child loses her way and eventually slips into the quicksand of time.
             So, dear nieces and nephews, your Auntie may no longer go with you to Sesame Street Live! or Uncle Moishe, but say the word “Disney” and I’m there in a jiffy.
Pinned Image

UNTIL NEXT TIME!
 

8 comments:

  1. As a full-time aunt I can certainly commiserate. Since I didn't want to grow up, I have an unhealthy love of toys and definitely enjoy animation, even though the story lines have serious hiccups (like by Belle. She couldn't say, "You know what, I'll go pick up my father, then bring him back here, if that's cool with you?"

    My favorite Disney movie is actually "The Emperor's New Groove." It has a villain you can laugh at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Emperor's New Groove. Cool! That's certainly different. I never even watched it. Ok, it's time to set up a date with the little ones and rectify this problem ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post! We dream of being princesses when we are little then real life strikes. But as you and I know we CAN achieve princess status ;)
    Have a wonderful Shabbos!
    xo
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Disney! I make it a point to get down to Disneyworld every winter. It's the most magical place on earth where anyone can feel like a true princess regardless of the pain they left back home.

    "If you can dream it, you can do it" -Walt Disney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Sharon!
    And PL: It's okay. There doesn't have to be a princess in order for me to fall in love with Disney. Lion King is a prime example of that :)
    Defying Gravity: If only I could go to Disney World every winter! Mmmm...What a dream. I've never been there. I so desperately wanted to go to Disney World as a kid, that I constantly wrote postcards to Mickey and Minnie at "P.O. Box Disney World" and begged them to answer my prayers. I saved some of those postcards. Oh, but one day...one day...I shall make my pilgramige there ;) Maybe for my honeymoon? (If my future husband is into that stuff...he better be ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, trust me- we go on a super budget, but I consider it to be my therapy/drug of choice...

      Delete
  6. That's very smart of you. I have a terrible habit of splurging on knick-knacks and other meaningless things. I should really take a cue from you and choose my "therapy" wisely. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete